Wednesday, May 16, 2012

DIY: Lemon, Lime & Basil Mocktail

I've always loved a good drink in front of me. When I settle in at night and let the stress of work wash over me, I rarely do it without a beverage by my side. I often write about my love of Beer or Wine or that I issued a labor of love to turn a piece of junk into a stocked bar cart in our apartment so that a nightcap is always available.  However, most of the time, my relaxing drinks have no alcohol in them at all. I mean weekdays aren't for hangovers or empty calories- they're for exercise, nose-to-the grind and sleep... so rather, I sip on Mocktails. 
My Lemon, Lime and Basil Mocktails
A Mocktail is just like the name entails: a blended/mixed drink that looks like a fun, summery cocktail but with a Virgin twist. These are super easy to make and you can do it with just about anything, but based on the produce I currently have in the house- here's the Mocktail I've been making for about two weeks:

Lemon, Lime and Basil Mocktail
What you need: Lemon and/or Limes (I like both), Basil or Mint (I have Basil), Soda Water, Ice & a Knife.
Slice the Lemon and Limes into serving wedges.
Chop the Basil just enough where the Leaves are a bit more serving-size friendly
Put the chopped Basil into the ice-filled glasses
Take a wedge of each piece of fruit and liberally squeeze the juice over the ice and the basil.
Pour in that Soda Water! (This drink also works fine with plain water just a little less fancy)
Grab wedges to embellish the glass rims: I like to cut a Lemon and Lime wedge in almost-half for each glass. 
Throw an extra wedge into the drink without squeezing the juice in first.
Ready to serve!
Beautiful, healthy, super easy to make and oh sooooo refreshing and good.
Yum, I really can't get enough of these! As my Boyfriend said when I gave him the finished product tonight (images above from Tuesday, 5.15.2012) he sipped and said "Oh yum! It's like a really, really refreshing garden." It really is- the refreshment factor is pretty astounding... but- if you really needed to, you could definitely add some Vodka to make it a weekend drink.

I hope you give it a whirl!
 Photobucket

20 comments:

Katie said...

It sounds delicious, looks pretty, and I think we have most of that on hand right now. If it wasn't 2:30am I'd be making a mocktail lol.

rinniez said...

hahaha ive never heard a drink described as a garden before!
since i quit sugar ive been sticking to my vodka lime and sodas.
never think to have it virgin tho, will have to remember that for when summer comes back round.
:)
xx

Kate Sparkles said...

Oh this looks so deliciously summery and makes me crazy jealous as it's currently 3 degrees here!! Ska comfort food weather! But I'll definitely give this a try should the sun ever return.

| C AND C | Sarmin said...

Seriously so pretty, the drink & the photos. This looks easy enough for me to do, I wanna try. & your glasses, the mason jar type looking one, send that to me. Okay, thanks!

Anne-Claire Poupon said...

That's seems so good!
I will try it!!

Take care and have a nice day :)

Visna said...

looks tasty! in my free time I will do this :)
look here, I have a giveaway!

http://visnafashion.blogspot.com/2012/05/pierwsze-rozdanie-first-contest.html

Naghmeh said...

oh how fun!! I'm going to try it, looks like a mojito :)
and sounds super refreshing!
xx

Erika said...

Gah! Caitlin these are so pretty - Carrie Bradshaw would totally approve...after all, drinks should always be pretty enough to serve as an accessory to whatever you happen to be wearing. :P

Fashion Meets Food said...

This looks and sounds delicious. I am definitely going to make it! Thanks for sharing. xo

Mandee said...

I will for sure give this a whirl! It looks so refreshing, and I have all the ingredients already:)

Lindsay said...

This looks delicious! I think I might have to make one of these this weekend (vodka included).

TheUrbanUmbrella said...

mmmm this sounds so refreshing! I may make this my camping drink for this weekend coming up! (Hooray May Long weekend is finally here!) But I'll add a bit of Gin!
xx


The Urban Umbrella
xoxo


http://www.theurbanumbrella.com/

Megan, The Frugalista Diaries said...

mmmmm!

Bravoe Runway said...

What a great drink! This is definitely something I need to make...I am sipping red wine as I type this comment and I am looking at this post in envy...

Elle Sees said...

i want to steal your bar cart! i would wheel it all over the place, offering beverages to guests, whether they were thirsty or not.

Jax said...

I'm so trying this!!! What a great idea! You are always so creative :) The only thing I'd use the regular water like you said you can substitute. I'm not a fan of carbonation. lol

Val said...

Well, hello....refreshing awesome drink.

Kara said...

Super awesome idea - sounds soooo delicious and refreshing! We just planted a bunch of basil on our patio so this is perfect timing :)

Harriet said...

Yum. I'll have to try that. I've had great success with lemons, limes, and mint. :)

June said...

That looks delicious! I drink lime water every morning but you might have inspired me to start drinking it this way now
xx
I Want It All